Reporting Sales & Transfers
Massachusetts General Law c. 140, §§128A and 128B, requires all individuals who sell, transfer, inherit, or lose a firearm to report the sale, transfer, inheritance, or loss of the firearms to the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services Firearms Records Bureau (FRB). This on-line system will allow you to report the sale, transfer, inheritance, or loss/theft data electronically to the FRB.
File a Report
For more information or to conduct a transaction, please visit the Massachusetts Firearms Registration and Transfer System website.
What You Will Need to File
Before you continue, you should have the following information available:
- A detailed description of the transferred weapon (serial number/make/model/caliber etc.)
- The Seller/Transferor's license information
- The Buyer/Transferee's license information
- It is unlawful to conduct a personal sale or transfer of a weapon to anyone other than an individual lawfully licensed in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. It is strongly recommended that you require the buyer/transferee to produce a valid FID/LTC License Validation Certificate (obtained by the buyer/transferee using this system) prior to conducting a personal sale or transfer.
- You may need your PIN number to complete a transaction. You may obtain your PIN number at your licensing authority.
- Firearms records are exempted from the public records statute. G.L c.4,§7 (Clause 26)(j). FRB may not disseminate firearms records "to any person, firm, corporation, entity or agency except criminal justice agencies as defined in Chapter 6 and except to the extent such information relates solely to the person making the request and is necessary to the official interests of the entity making the request." G.L. c. 66, § 10(d).